Thursday, July 15, 2010

Communication

I would like to start by saying I am a firm believer of communication. So much so, that I majored in it when I went to college. Through the process of going to school, actually probably long before that, I have taken a more liberal stance on, "Don't let the sun go down on your anger." I chose to believe that sometimes it is better to give it a day, because there comes a time when NOTHING productive is happening in your anger.


For instance, you are not supposed to talk about serious things that might cause an argument, or argue if:

-One of both of you is tired
-One or both of you are hungry
-One or both of you has had to much to drink
-One or both of you do not have enough time to finish the talk


Last week it came to a point with the husband and myself that nothing productive was happening in an intense conversation we were having. A conversation that we have had many times before. So, I left. Seriously, I left for the night. I actually went and crashed at his best friends house (who was out of town and leaves the door unlocked, so I knew no one would be there and I could crash there in peace and quiet).

Let me also tell you, I was so angry that I was not going to go back home until he called me. I was getting ready to be gone for a few days, because, I thought that is how long it would take him to call me.


Luckily, for me and him he called me the afternoon of day one. Earlier in the day, I had told myself that I wasn't going to answer the phone, I was going to make him sweat it out a little bit, that is how confident I was about my position.

Then, I realized that I would be passive-aggressive if I did that, and the communication queen in me would not allow myself to do that, even if I wanted him to sweat.


So, he called me that afternoon of day one.

Me: Hello
Husband: Hello
Me: Hello
Husband: I am a hundred times sorry.
Me: Is that your way of telling me you want me to come back home.
Husband: Yes, please come home. I am sorry.
Me: Um, Okay, I guess we will talk about the rest of this later. I love you.
Husband: I love you too. Talk to you tonight.


I was at the wedding office while this whole thing was going down, so I did not feel the need to go into it any further at this point. However, when I got home these were waiting for me.





So, we talked about it later that night. And even though the sun went down on our anger, we still talked about it. I asked the husband why he let me leave, and he said at that point he knew he deserved for me to leave. I responded with a chuckle, so you let me leave to punish yourself??? He said, yep.

Crazy. Sometimes I just don't get boys.

1 comment:

islandgirl said...

I do like him. But not when he makes you angry. But I do like him.