Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Serenity

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.


I think perhaps this should become my mantra. I have heard this prayer hundreds, maybe even thousands of times. I have some family that is clean and sober, and that is what it always represented. I never really thought about what it was actually saying, until now...

Serenity, basically means peace and tranquility, as I am sure you know. For those of you who don't know me really well, I am a lover of people. My heart breaks for people. I also wear my heart on my sleeve. That is why serenity is the part I need to focus on. I need to be peaceful and calm in the midst of situations that I have no control over. How does one remain calm in the midst of situations that are overwhelming? That part I don't know, not yet at least... However, that is why it should become my mantra or prayer. In order to be a positive influence of change in the midst of life, I have to be aware of what I have no control over, and let it be. Let me tell you, it is physically and emotionally draining to try to do it otherwise.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

wow. that was deep.